Contractors for the Georgia Department of Transportation (Georgia DOT) will continue construction activities related to the I-16/I-75 Interchange Improvement Project next week in Macon-Bibb. Weather permitting, the scheduled activities beginning Sunday, April 5 through April 12 are listed below.
New Lane Closures/ Traffic Shifts:
- Single lane closures in both directions on Coliseum Drive/Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard each night beginning Sunday, April 5 until Thursday, April 9, from 9:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.
- The I-16 eastbound exit ramp to Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard (Exit 2) will be closed overnight on Sunday, April 5 and Monday, April 6 from 10:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. the following mornings.
- Beginning 6:00 a.m. on Thursday, April 9, Coliseum Drive/Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard traffic will shift onto the newly constructed Bridge over the Ocmulgee River.
Ongoing, Long-term Closures:
- The dedicated right turn lane on the I-16 eastbound off-ramp to Spring Street, which will remain closed through the spring of 2021.
- The permanent lane closure on Coliseum Drive/Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard southbound between Clinton Street to Riverside Drive; southbound traffic in that area is currently reduced to one lane.
- The far right lane of I-75 northbound at the Georgia 19/Georgia Avenue exit (exit 164) is closed to traffic for several months.
- Spring Street’s far right lane at the I-16 westbound on-ramp as well as the right-hand on-ramp to I-16 westbound are both closed for several months; the Spring Street on-ramp to I-16 westbound has been relocated to the far left lane.
Construction Activities Thru April 5:
Phase 2 and 3 – I-75 from Hardeman Avenue to I-16 eastbound
- Crews continue construction of the Riverside Bridge superstructure over I-75;
- Construction of concrete sound and visual wall along I-75 northbound and southbound continues; and
- Crews began removing pavement from the far left lane and shoulder lane on I-75 northbound and southbound between Hardeman Avenue and the Pedestrian Bridge.
Phase 1 – I-16 from the I-16/ I-75 split to the Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard exit
- Crews continue work on two bridge superstructures – the bridge along I-16 eastbound near Spring Street and the new I-16 eastbound bridge over the Ocmulgee River.
- Grading activities continue on Martin Luther King Jr Boulevard near Riverside Drive;
- Crews will start asphalt paving on Coliseum Drive/Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard;and
- Crews will remove the existing pavement on Spring Street’s far left lane under the I-16 bridges.
The I-16/I-75 Interchange Improvements Project is a $500 million safety and mobility megaproject. With its massive scope to widen and reconstruct I-16, I-75 and their interchange in Macon-Bibb, this project is being delivered in seven design and construction phases that will continue through 2030. When complete, new CD lanes, additional interstate lanes, new interstate on-and off-ramps, upgrades to 11 bridges, new walls, upgraded drainage systems, etc. will deliver safer and improved mobility for Macon-Bibb’s local commuters and businesses, regional travelers and commercial freight from the Georgia southern coast to destinations within the state and throughout the U.S.
On the road? Why not take us with you. All our websites are mobile-friendly. Visit our growing family of exit guides: I-4 Exit Guide, I-5 Exit Guide, I-10 Exit Guide, I-75 Exit Guide, and I-95 Exit Guide. Detailed exit service listings… discount lodging, camping, food, gas and more for every exit along the way!