Contractors for the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) will continue construction activities related to the I-16/I-75 Interchange Improvement Project in Macon-Bibb. Weather permitting, the scheduled activities beginning Monday, April 27 through Sunday, May 3 are listed below.
New Lane Closures/ Traffic Shifts, weather permitting:
- Starting at 9:00 p.m. on Sunday, May 3, all traffic south of Riverside Drive headed to I-75 southbound, including traffic from I-16 westbound, will be shifted onto the newly constructed right lanes on I-75 southbound.
- Several intervals of traffic pacing on I-75 southbound, just south of Riverside Drive and I-16 westbound, starting at 9:00 p.m. on Sunday, May 3 through 6:00 a.m. on Monday, May 4. Message boards and Macon-Bibb police will guide motorists through the traffic pacing intervals.
Ongoing, Long-term Closures:
- The dedicated right turn lane on the I-16 eastbound off-ramp to Spring Street, which will remain closed through the spring of 2021.
- The permanent lane closure on Coliseum Drive/Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard southbound between Clinton Street to Riverside Drive; southbound traffic in that area is currently reduced to one lane.
- The far right lane of I-75 northbound at the Georgia 19/Georgia Avenue exit (exit 164) is closed to traffic for several months.
- Spring Street’s far right lane at the I-16 westbound on-ramp as well as the right-hand on-ramp to I-16 westbound are both closed for several months; the Spring Street on-ramp to I-16 westbound has been relocated to the far left lane.
Construction Activities for April 20-26:
Phase 2 and 3 – I-75 from Hardeman Avenue to I-16 eastbound
- Crews continue construction of the Riverside Bridge superstructure over I-75;
- Construction of concrete sound and visual wall along I-75 northbound and southbound continues;
- Grading and placement of aggregate base materials on the roadway on far right lane and right shoulder lane on I-75 northbound and southbound between Hardeman Avenue and the Pedestrian Bridge, and on I-16 westbound from the Spring Street entrance ramp to the bridge over the Ocmulgee River; and
- Concrete paving of the shoulder lane on I-75 northbound between Hardeman Avenue to the Riverside Drive Bridge.
Phase 1 – I-16 from the I-16/ I-75 split to the Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard exit
- Crews continue work on the superstructure for the bridge along I-16 eastbound near Spring Street;
- Construction of the new I-16 eastbound bridge over the Ocmulgee River;
- Demolition of the existing Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard Bridge over the Ocmulgee River;
- Grading activities begin on the I-16 eastbound exit ramp to Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard; and
- Crews will remove the existing pavement on Spring Street’s far left lane under the I-16 bridges.
The I-16/I-75 Interchange Improvements Project is a $500 million safety and mobility megaproject. With its massive scope to widen and reconstruct I-16, I-75 and their interchange in Macon-Bibb, this project is being delivered in seven design and construction phases that will continue through 2030. When complete, new CD lanes, additional interstate lanes, new interstate on-and off-ramps, upgrades to 11 bridges, new walls, upgraded drainage systems, etc. will deliver safer and improved mobility for Macon-Bibb’s local commuters and businesses, regional travelers and commercial freight from the Georgia southern coast to destinations within the state and throughout the U.S.
For more I-75 travel info, visit www.i75exitguide.com, the Internet’s largest and most complete website devoted to I-75, America’s Interstate Main Street. Detailed exit service listings… discount lodging, camping, food, gas and more for every exit from Michigan to Florida! Plus I-75 construction, real-time traffic and road news.