The Florida Department of Transportation reports that this project reconfigured the I-75 / SR 56 interchange between CR 54 and Cypress Ridge Boulevard in Pasco County. The former diamond interchange was modified and converted to a diverging diamond interchange (DDI). The main change was to diverge (cross) SR 56 traffic to the left side of the road through the interchange, and then cross vehicles back over to the right side of the road on the opposite side of the interchange. The improvements help alleviate traffic congestion at the interchange to reduce travel time for motorists in this rapidly growing area.
- The interchange of SR 56 and I-75 was converted to a Diverging Diamond Interchange traffic pattern on May 1, 2022.
- All lanes are open throughout the project area! A fourth westbound SR 56 lane was opened on October 31, 2022, along with a third left turn lane from the northbound I-275/I-75 exit ramp onto westbound SR 56.
- All pedestrian and bicycle facilities were open throughout the project area as of December 10, 2022. Pedestrians have 5-foot-wide sidewalks on each side of SR 56 and cross into a barrier-protected 7-foot-wide section in the median of the bridge over I-75. Bicycles have dedicated lanes next to traffic in each direction of SR 56.
Other features and benefits of diverging diamond interchanges
- DDIs operate under two-phase signal control, which reduces lost time, delays and queue lengths at traffic signals.
- Safety features include lower design speeds between ramps and a reduction in the number of conflict points. The lower speeds result in less severe crashes.
- Increased safety for pedestrians and bicycles.
- Better sight distance at turns.
The I-75 Exit Guide is the Internet’s largest and most complete website dedicated to Interstate 75 travelers. Find detailed exit service listings… lodging, camping, food, gas and more for every exit from Michigan to Florida!
On the road? Why not take us with you. The I-75 Exit Guide is mobile-friendly and totally FREE. No App Required.
Traveling another route? Visit our growing family of exit guides: I-4 Exit Guide, I-5 Exit Guide, I-10 Exit Guide, I-75 Exit Guide, I-80 Exit Guide and I-95 Exit Guide. Detailed exit service listings… discount lodging, camping, food, gas and more for every exit along the way!